Monday, July 25, 2005

"I don't have a pen"

Finally I have a chance to pick back up on the Mascot Project. I'll start where we left off by publishing the sketch exercise we did last.

Amid scoffs of "it will never work" and " I don't have a pen", we did a brainstorming design exercise where individuals draw their concepts on paper and the paper was passed around to others to draw on, adding their own doodles to the "collective" design. Only a couple of sketches had any combinations of more than one design. Congratulations to those who were able to relinquish their sketch to another's brutal hand. I know it's tough for logical engineer types to "cast about" for inspiration, so congratulations to everyone for participating.

The "logic" of the exercise is to bounce ideas around quickly, building on what another person sees in your idea that you may not. It's also a spin-off on the "two heads are better than one" concept.

I've presented the sketches below and commented on each briefly. Please add your explanation if you are the author and I've missed an important point.

I'll incorporate the ideas, that are new, from this exercise into the CAD model next month. Remember the design criteria...The 4 main design objectives for a "club mascot" should be:

  • 1. Light and easy to transport
  • 2. Big for visual impact
  • 3. Flamboyant, showing off, technological cleverness to be proud of
  • 4. Cheap, cheap,cheap


I took the liberty to combine some of the sketch elements from a couple of different sketches in these first few, sort of in the spirit of the exercise. This one is much like the original design but with arms, head, and camera, added from other sketches. I find the head particulary "modern".

No comments: